In LaborChart, you have the ability to limit which Projects users have access to view. Restricting visibility to only show associated Projects is a way to ensure that the employee is able to view only what they need to view - nothing more and nothing less. This article will explain how this Permission setting functions and how you can set it up.
Associated vs Unassociated Projects
This Permission setting, when checkmarked, means that all users designated to this Permission level are able to see all Projects within their LaborChart Group(s). When this Permission setting is unchecked, this means the users designated to this permission level can only see Projects they are associated with.
What does it mean to be "associated" with a Project? A user is associated with a Project when they meet any of the following criteria:
- The user is assigned to the Project
- The user is specified as a Project Role on the Project
- The user created the Project
For example, Jane Doe has an assignment on Project XYZ. This automatically associates her with said Project.
Users are automatically de-associated from Projects when all of the above statements are no longer true.
Setting Up Associated Projects Permissions
If you'd like to restrict any Permission level to see only their associated Projects, follow these steps.
In your Settings page, select the Permissions tab located in the menu on the left side of the page.
Select Edit next to the desired Permission level. Under the Projects section, locate the Permission setting labeled "View Unassociated Projects" and ensure this box is not checkmarked. Then, Save.
Any user designated to this Permission level will see only associated Projects.
What Does This Effect?
If a user has access to only view associated Projects, this impacts visibility across several pages in LaborChart.
- Project List, Gantt and Boards pages: Restricts users to only seeing Projects they are associated with
- People List page: Restricts users from seeing projects they are not associated with in the "Current Assignment" and "Next Assignment" column headers
- Assignment List page: Restricts users to only seeing Assignments on the Projects they are associated with
- Requests List page: Restricts users to only seeing Requests on the Projects they are associated with
- Activity, Maps and Totals pages: Restricts users to only seeing data for the Projects they are associated with
Example Company Account
Below is a visual example of unrestricted access (box in settings is checkmarked). I have access to all 9 projects in my company.
This is a visual example of my same company, however this user's access is restricted therefore the user can only see the Project they have an Assignment for.
Thank you for reading this support article. Please refer to the Support Library for regularly updated support documents.